FG inaugurates committee to modernise polytechnic laboratories

The federal government has inaugurated a ministerial implementation committee to oversee the modernisation of laboratories and the enhancement of skills development in Nigerian polytechnics.
Minister of Education Tunji Alausa, while inaugurating the committee in Abuja on Tuesday, said the initiative aimed to phase out obsolete equipment in the polytechnics.
Mr Alausa said the initiative would also introduce industrial-grade engineering facilities and strengthen hands-on technical training across beneficiary institutions.
He explained that the intervention, supported by the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), would cover 37 federal and state polytechnics under the second phase of the Skills-G intervention.
According to him, the programme will provide equipment for mechatronics, robotics, renewable energy systems, advanced telecommunications, electronics, and automobile engineering.
“The key objective of this intervention is the modernisation of our laboratories, phasing out obsolete equipment in Nigerian polytechnics and replacing them with industrial-grade engineering equipment.
“This being the second phase, the first phase was done in the year 2011 to 2012. Now, we’re in the second phase, and we have 37 polytechnics that will benefit. Unlike the previous TETFUND intervention that focused on building, the Skill-G intervention will focus on the polytechnic laboratory ecosystem,” he said.
The minister added that the reform would also ensure dual certification for polytechnic graduates, combining National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) with recognised National Skills Qualification certificates.
He said the committee would supervise ongoing skills development interventions in 14 polytechnics, recommend institutions for the third phase in 2026, and monitor the upgrade of engineering workshops in selected institutions.
Mr Alausa stressed the importance of accountability and transparency in the utilisation of intervention funds, noting that some institutions had previously procured unusable equipment, which is now kept in storage.
The minister said quarterly reports would be submitted to the Federal Ministry of Education and TETFund, while non-compliant institutions could face sanctions.
Also speaking, the executive secretary of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Idris Bugaje, said the committee would revive the delayed implementation of Skill-G.
Mr Bugaje, the committee chairman, said it would also ensure proper execution of the 2025 skills intervention and screen polytechnics for the 2026 phase.
He added that the upgrade of engineering workshops would help Nigeria align with global engineering standards under international accords.
In his remarks, the executive secretary of TETFund, Sonny Echono, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to funding the interventions and clarified that earlier delays were linked to ongoing contracts and new local-content requirements.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
2026 Budget: Oyetola laments poor funding of marine, blue economy ministry
Mr Oyetola said the Council for the Regulation of Freight Forwarding in Nigeria’s 2026 budget was wrongly placed by the Budget Office under the Federal Ministry of Transportation.

Economy
All Nigerians will enjoy dividends of my harsh economic policies: Tinubu
“We will…ensure that the dividends of our policies are felt across every state and every community in this country,” said Mr Tinubu.

States
Police say five armed robbery suspects nabbed in Akwa Ibom
The police command in Akwa Ibom says it has detained five persons over suspected involvement in armed robbery in Eket LGA.

Hot news Home top
Sesko’s late goal rescues Man United in 1-1 draw at West Ham; Tottenham, Everton lose
United remain fourth on the table, with one point ahead of Chelsea, which was forced to a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge by Leeds United.

Hot news Home top
Trump to deploy 200 U.S. soldiers to help Nigeria fight terrorists, bandits
President Donald Trump’s administration is deploying two hundred U

States
Task force arrests 26 suspects for extorting cart pushers in Lagos
Mr Wahab stated that operatives also dismantled illegal structures on the road setback that had been converted to makeshift dwellings.





