Police declare Sowore wanted

The Lagos State Police Command has declared activist Omoyele Sowore wanted for allegedly planning to incite public disorder and obstruct major roads in the state.
Commissioner of Police Olohundare Jimoh disclosed this to journalists on Monday in the Iyana-Oworo section of the Third Mainland Bridge.
Mr Jomoh said the command was closing in on Mr Sowore and others accused of coordinating activities intended to disrupt public peace.
“Sowore should surrender at the nearest police station or face arrest wherever he is found.
“Anyone attempting to cause disturbance or block our roads will face the full weight of the law,” he said.
According to him, intelligence reports indicated that Mr Sowore and his associates planned to stage demonstrations at strategic locations, including the Third Mainland Bridge, Lekki Tollgate, and Freedom Park.
The commissioner described the alleged plan as criminal and warned it could trigger severe traffic congestion and endanger lives.
“It is only someone who needs examination that would attempt to block such a vital route used by thousands daily,” he said.
Mr Jimoh revealed that 13 suspects had been arrested in connection with the planned protest, while Mr Sowore allegedly fled. He added that investigations are ongoing to identify sponsors and collaborators.
The CP said officers had been deployed across key areas, especially major bridges and highways, where roadblocks and diversions were in place.
He noted that the measures were temporary and aimed at safeguarding peace and protecting critical infrastructure.
“The Third Mainland Bridge was not designed to hold stationary weight. Any gathering on it could pose structural risks,” he said.
The commissioner also addressed tension linked to recent demolitions in parts of Lagos, particularly in the Oworo-Soki area, stating that eligible residents had already received compensation.
“The government compensated those affected, and the media witnessed it. There is no justification to provoke a crisis under the guise of protest,” he said.
He urged Lagos residents to continue their normal activities without fear, assuring that security agencies were fully deployed to maintain order.
“We are not sleeping. We will apprehend, investigate, and prosecute anyone attempting to undermine public safety in Lagos,” he said.
Mr Jimoh reaffirmed the command’s commitment to enforcing the law without fear or favour, stressing that freedom of expression must not turn into a public nuisance or risk lives.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
UNICEF, Katsina govt train girls to promote sustainable peace
The two-day training held in Katsina on Monday aimed to promote girls’ enrolment in schools and their retention and completion of education.

States
Nasarawa commissioner urges youths to embrace peace
Mr Muluku urged the people of the Ezhiba community and other citizens of the state to continue to support Governor Abdullahi Sule’s administration.

World
U.S raises Tanzania’s travel advisory level over unrest, targeting of gays, lesbians
The advisory follows widespread demonstrations in Tanzania, premised on election dissatisfaction among Tanzanians and opposition figures alike.

Health
Niger govt inaugurates security team for treated nets, malaria campaign
Mr Imam said the team was established to ensure the smooth distribution of 3.2 million insecticide-treated nets to the 274 wards of the state.

Uncategorized
Kano electoral commission fixes December 3 for councillorship by-election
Mr Lawal-Malumfashi said adequate preparations were underway to ensure a smooth, transparent, and credible electoral process.

States
Ondo govt. reaffirms collaboration with FG on quality, accessible education
Mr Aiyedatiwa said the state recorded significant strides in reshaping its educational landscape in line with the seven-point agenda named “OUR EASE.”






